Fort Macleod Golf Course
Golf was first played in Fort Macleod in 1890; this was the first course to be built between Winnipeg and the West Coast. The area 250 yards from the first tee was used until about 1924 by the N.W.M.P. as a pistol and rifle range, shells can still be found on the sidehill.
The trail coming down the coulee by no. 1 tee box and which is still very visible on no. 9 fairway is part of the old wagon trail to Calgary and was used by settlers from the Porcupine hills as well. On no. 2 fairway, about 100 yards from the tee box are buffalo wallows visible, lucky for us these are not as deep as the sand traps made by sheep.
Cattle and buffalo bones are still to be found near no. 3 green, the cattle bones are from a herd that perished there during a blizzard of 1898, after being driven up here from Montana for pasturing.